Your Feedback

Energy News Monitoring

GLOBAL OFFSHORE WIND REPORT 2022: a new record in offshore wind industry!

2021 was the most successful year ever for the offshore wind industry, according to the report released by GWEC (Global Wind Energy Council). 21.1 GW of new capacity was connected to the grid globally and stated global targets indicate that there could be more record years from 2025 onwards.

China with 17 GW made up 80% of offshore wind capacity added worldwide in 2021, leading the world for the fourth year in a row. The remaining 20% of new installations came mainly from Europe, dominated by the United Kingdom with 11%, followed by Denmark (3%), the Netherlands (2%) and Norway (0.5%). Two other countries outside of China and Europe registered new offshore wind installations in 2021: Vietnam (4%) and Taiwan (1%).

Vestas (Denmark) is the world leader in the production of wind turbines (more than 154 GW of installed capacity around the world)

Global cumulative offshore wind power capacity has reached 56 GW, which is almost 7% of total wind power capacity worldwide as of end of 2021. The global offshore market has been growing at an average annual rate of 36% over the last decade.  The top five markets by the accumulated number of offshore installations are China (47%), the UK (22%), Germany (14%), Netherlands (5%) and Denmark (4%). Although Europe remains the largest regional offshore wind market as of the end of 2021, responsible for 50.4% of total cumulative global offshore wind installations, this development is down 18% from the previous year. It is already quite clear that by the end of 2022, Asia will overtake Europe and become the world's largest offshore market.

Experts predict that total offshore wind capacity will reach 370 GW by the end of 2031, meaning that the offshore wind industry will continue to set records and more than 315 GW of new capacity will be introduced over the next decade. Annual offshore wind power installations are expected to more than double from 21.1 GW in 2021 to 54.9 GW in 2031, increasing offshore wind power's share of global new installations from 23% in 2021 to 32% by 2031.

In recent years, there has also been a significant increase in patenting in the field of offshore wind energy.

Offshore Wind Turbines. Countries participating in the patenting process, and the number of patents granted to their resident applicants between 2002-2021

Offshore Wind Turbines. Top 10 applicants by share in the intellectual property market

Patents, 2002-2021Volume ratio, %Ownership ratio, %Market involvement ratio, %
Vestas Wind Systems A/S (DK)8,8793,568,30
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S (DK)4,3094,484,07
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (JP)3,6298,033,55
Wobben Aloys (DE)3,4198,973,38
Siemens AG (DE)3,3193,353,09
Principle Power Inc (US)2,3198,482,27
General Electric (US)2,2093,852,07
Hitachi, Ltd. (JP)1,8984,721,60
University of Maine System (US)1,6897,661,64
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy A/S (DK)1,6398,391,60

Volume ratio - share of applicant documents in total number of documents;
Ownership ratio - applicant's participation share in total number of documents;
Market involvement ratio - volume ratio multiplied by ownership ratio.

Detailed information on the methodology of search and processing of patent documents is available on the Advanced Energy Technologieswebsite.